[ale] why Linux hurts/disappoints me more than once

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Nov 27 21:17:37 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-11-27 at 20:34 -0500, K Phillips wrote:
> You should be able to use any bootable livecd or liveusb and mount the
> local disk.

> If your using standard partitions, it's a few commands (sfdisk -l,
> mount, etc). If using LVM it gets a bit more challenging, although the
> basic idea is the same.

Depending on the run-live, even LVM can be pretty reasonable.  NST does
an LVM start so you just need to sort out where your pieces are.  But,
yeah, you still may need to go digging in pv* and lv* commands if you're
going to dig on that level. Doesn't sound like the case here, however.
This sounded like purely a partitioning issue maybe with classical BIOS
vs EFI possibly being at the heart of the problem.