[ale] [OT] A restaurant recommendation

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 22:38:59 EST 2010

It's the holiday season again again and that means time to eat like all the
pants have elastic waistbands.

When ALE'rs get tired of traditional turkey and dressing, I would like to
recommend a little hole-in-the-wall place called Phenom Penh in Lilburn.

The husband and wife team (their daughter was working there tonight with
dad) deliver outstanding authentic Khmer (Cambodian) food. Cambodian is
similar to Thai but less heat and more complex spices. Most dishes have no
hot peppers at all. Several curries have a bit of spice. For those that like
it hot, there is a condiment trio on the tables with hot chilies both dried,
roasted and ground as well as a sauce-like puree. Very warming and tasty for
the two I tried. The two guys with us tonight from Ethiopia piled it on
pretty high and were very happy.

Many fish dishes (the fish amok is outstanding!) as well as chicken, beef
and pork. Traditional meat sticks, chicken or beef, marinaded and grilled
with a relish made from papaya are a must have. The soups are served in a
bowl that appears to hold nearly half a gallon. A highly memorable soup is
their Samior Mchou which has pineapple, tamarind, scallions and cilantro and
chicken, fish or shrimp.

They don't have a beer or wine license so you can BYO and they will provide
glasses. The staff is very friendly and even though I wind up going with a
crowd of other foodies, they handle the lot of us very well. It not uncommon
for the crowd to be 8-9 people and we order 8-10 different dishes and pass
then around the table so we all get everything. The staff is good about
bringing out one or two at a time so they are always at their peak.

My hearty recommendation for the cure for turkey overload!

Phenom Penh Restaurent
4800 Lawrenceville Hwy
Suite 4
Lilburn, GA 30047

678-694-1598

for those who know, they used to be close to Main St. in Tucker. I thought
they had gone under when I saw they were no longer open. One day I saw the
door open and ran in and got to speak with the owner. She told me they were
moving.So for anyone who's been looking for them, now you know where they
are.

Note: They are the ONLY Cambodian restaurant in all of metro-Atlanta! They
are well worth the drive from even Cobb county. The foodies on the list will
understand about driving to hit a great place is no big deal. :-)

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.