[ale] Running a app on Telnet

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 09:33:42 EST 2010

<skipping the horrors of using telnet for anything but testing is a port is
active...>

just put the launching app as the next to last line in .bashrc for the
incoming user account and make the last line just an exit.

put that environment in a vm (so it can be dumped and recreated quickly) and
chroot the user environment for the telnet process. run selinux in full mls
mode and set the user context at login to mate with the app context and
disallow everything else (i.e. the game user can only run the game code and
exit from the shell).

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:59 AM, Chuck Payne <terrorpup at gmail.com> wrote:

> Guys,
>
> This is a bit of old school, I got a group of buddies that want to do
> some RPG, for you young kids that Role Playing Games, One of my
> buddies asked is there a way I could set up a pick your own path game
> for as he over sea wants to do a bit solo playing.
>
> OK where I need some input. I like to set up a app to be able to run
> so that he can use telnet to get to. I like to also jail the app to
> make it secure.
>
> Yes, I know. Text Base Pick your Path are very very old school. But me
> any my buddies are from back in the days of Scott Adams Adventures. I
> am loving this because they ask me to dust off a couple Tunnels and
> Trolls Pocket games that I wrote in basic ( NOT V. Basic, but the real
> Basic remember  10 Print  20 goto ) that I am covering to bash, but
> looking and putting into mysql with python.)
>
> Anyway, I know I can set it up as service and a uniq port. What I am
> lost how  is my friend Bod, does this...
>
> telnet mybox.com 9866
>

> That the app will start. I firgure that there a couple ppl on the list
> that might know how.
>
> It not as simple as when I ran a BBS.
>
> Thanks for any you can give this old geek. I am also helping my
> buddies, but rest up my MUD and Crossfire.
> Discover it! Enjoy it! Share it! openSUSE Linux.
> openSUSE -- en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
> openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
> skype,twiiter,identica,friendfeed -- terrorpup
> freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
>
> Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
> to package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE
> Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.

James P. Kinney III
I would rather stumble along in freedom than walk effortlessly in chains.