[ale] potentially moving to Oak Ridge, TN / Knoxville, TN

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Wed Nov 17 09:08:44 EST 2010

Ron -

FWIW, I'm former DOE.

In this day and age, if you actually want to do technical work at a
Federal facility, you'll pretty much have to be a Federal contractor.
Back in my day, actually growing and maintaining technical capability as
a Fed *overseeing* contractors was rather frowned upon.  Personally, I
loved hitting order-of-magnitude-better price/performance points in
demonstrations compared to contractors' work for analogous services, but
those were hollow victories; I'd rather have had the more cost-effective
solutions actually wind up getting put into practice.

That being said, what you need to know is what all contractors ORNL has
(some of them may be universities) and whether they have openings.  A
little educated guessing and Googling shows that SAIC is one and, sure
enough, UT is another.

- Jeff