[ale] Missing desktop icons after upgrading to Fedora 14: Solved

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:13:23 EST 2010

On 11/15/2010 10:02 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 08:54 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
>> On 11/15/2010 05:12 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>>> Upgraded to Fedora 14, keeping my original /home filesystem, over the
>>> weekend. So far the only issue I can't seem to resolve is the fact that
>>> when I first login I'm missing all my icons on the desktop. The
>>> wallpaper is there, and both top and bottom panels with their
>>> respective
>>> icons are all there. If I open my desktop in nautilus, they will appear
>>> again. I am using Gnome desktop with compiz-fusion and emerald themes.
>> [snip]
>>> Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the icon issue? The
>>> background issue is more of a minor thing and is not a big deal, just
>>> nice if I can get it to work again.
>> What is the value of the gconf key
>>
>> /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
>>
>> ?
>>
> True. There was also another key that I found to be set correctly. At
> this time, if I log out then back in everything but the icons on the
> desktop comes back, if I start nautilus either from command line, or
> menu the icons pop in. There is also a key for auto starting nautilus
> and that is set correctly.
>
> I also saw a thread in the ubuntu forum that suggested to check
> gconftool-2 as follows:
>
> [scott at ncc1701 ~]$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/session
>  required_components_list = [windowmanager,panel,filemanager]
>  max_idle_time = 120
>  default_session = [gnome-settings-daemon]
>  idle_delay = 120
>  max_idle_action =
>  /desktop/gnome/session/required_components:
>   filemanager = nautilus
>   windowmanager = compiz-gtk
>   panel = gnome-panel
>
> As near as I'm able to tell that is correct. I'm wondering if
> something is broken now with compiz-gtk. I might try disabling all of
> the effects and see if that fixes it.
Ok my initial suspicions proved to be correct. I manually added nautilus
to gnome-session-properties and then loged out and back in and
everything was fine. I had originally suspected that when just starting
nautilus would make everything work, but I got thrown when other checks
to make sure that it was set to start checked out correct. Should never
second guess gut instinct. Now if I can get my wallpaper to work as the
GDM background like before.