[ale] Missing desktop icons after upgrading to Fedora 14

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 22:02:22 EST 2010

On 11/15/2010 08:54 PM, Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 05:12 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Upgraded to Fedora 14, keeping my original /home filesystem, over the
>> weekend. So far the only issue I can't seem to resolve is the fact that
>> when I first login I'm missing all my icons on the desktop. The
>> wallpaper is there, and both top and bottom panels with their respective
>> icons are all there. If I open my desktop in nautilus, they will appear
>> again. I am using Gnome desktop with compiz-fusion and emerald themes.
> [snip]
>> Anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the icon issue? The
>> background issue is more of a minor thing and is not a big deal, just
>> nice if I can get it to work again.
> What is the value of the gconf key
>
> /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop
>
> ?

True. There was also another key that I found to be set correctly. At
this time, if I log out then back in everything but the icons on the
desktop comes back, if I start nautilus either from command line, or
menu the icons pop in. There is also a key for auto starting nautilus
and that is set correctly.

I also saw a thread in the ubuntu forum that suggested to check
gconftool-2 as follows:

[scott at ncc1701 ~]$ gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/session
  required_components_list = [windowmanager,panel,filemanager]
  max_idle_time = 120
  default_session = [gnome-settings-daemon]
  idle_delay = 120
  max_idle_action =
  /desktop/gnome/session/required_components:
   filemanager = nautilus
   windowmanager = compiz-gtk
   panel = gnome-panel

As near as I'm able to tell that is correct. I'm wondering if something
is broken now with compiz-gtk. I might try disabling all of the effects
and see if that fixes it.