[ale] Lazy guy wants to burn large backup into DL DVD

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Nov 12 21:23:36 EST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 16:15 -0500, John Mills wrote:

> I have a directory branch of about 6 GBy miscellaneous gold and cruft
> and
> I would like to back it up.
>
> I have some DVD+R DL 8 Gby blanks and an LG DVD burner that claims to
> handle 8.5 GBy DVD+R DL.
>
> Being a lazy fellow, I would like to simply burn an image of that
> branch
> onto a DVD, but I don't know how to do this. I could use 'growisofs'
> walk the branch's directories, but will it be able to split and link
> them
> without compression so I can just mount and browse the resulting DVD?
>
> I failed when I tried to burn a video beyond 4 GBy on these blanks.
>
> Thanks for any pointers on doing this.

I have a script for burning a directory tree to media; I've attached it.
It uses xorriso by default, which is what I use for DVD, DVD-DL, and BD
media, though it can also use wodim by passing a switch.  It's simple,
quick and dirty because I do this all the time.

It's called "bd" for "burn directory".  I don't ensure that it will work
for anyone but myself, it's not something I've released, but if you make
any changes to it, I'd sure not mind having them sent back as a patch.

	--- Mike