[ale] Lazy guy wants to burn large backup into DL DVD

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Fri Nov 12 16:15:17 EST 2010

ALErs -

I have a directory branch of about 6 GBy miscellaneous gold and cruft and
I would like to back it up.

I have some DVD+R DL 8 Gby blanks and an LG DVD burner that claims to
handle 8.5 GBy DVD+R DL.

Being a lazy fellow, I would like to simply burn an image of that branch
onto a DVD, but I don't know how to do this. I could use 'growisofs' to
walk the branch's directories, but will it be able to split and link them
without compression so I can just mount and browse the resulting DVD?

I failed when I tried to burn a video beyond 4 GBy on these blanks.

Thanks for any pointers on doing this.

  - Mills