[ale] [ALE-jobs] Opportunity for Windows Admin in PA/TN

arxaaron arxaaron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 23:47:45 EST 2010

On 2010/11/10, at 22:10 , Mike Harrison wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010, Sparr wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:59 PM, Mike Harrison <cluon at geeklabs.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Would you rather give one of "us" Linux/FOSS aware
>>> people a chance at a paying job....
>>> or one of "them" M$-centric fanbois?
>>
>> By that logic, *any* job posting is relevant to this board, almost
>> all
>> of them more so than a MS job posting.
>
> I just hired a kid who's been working the Deli counter at Wal-Mart..
> Still
> is on weekends. But he can use vi, diff, and write some basic code.
> He's
> learning quickly. While I'm not so sure the Wal-Mart deli job
> posting is
> apropos to an ALE-Jobs or other technology list, I'm glad he had the
> job
> until he found employment as a Linux sysadmin.
>
> In 2004 I made more money as a welder than a Linux geek.
> Still have a dead spot in my right eye from it ("instant" on welding
> mask
> failed) The message I got that work from a posting to a Linux list and
> kept me fed for 6 months. (I made special brackets for antenna
> mounts).
>
> In 2005, I took a job that includes babysitting 14 2000/2003 windows
> iMail
> and IIS servers. I converted most of them to a single Linux server. I
> could not have done that if I had not taken the job.
>
> It is far easier to convert the unwashed ignaorant masses from within
> the castle walls, than from across the moat.

The point in this is not a question of whether working
in odd jobs, tech oriented or otherwise, MafiaSoft centric
or not, is better for someone than not working at all.

The question is whether postings for those odd jobs
are appropriate to the ALE-jobs list, and the answer is
that they aren't. A posting for a welding gig or a babysitting
job or a windisease-only admin position are all equally
inappropriate to the context of the ALE-jobs list.

If someone wants to (or is willing to) be a welder or a
babysitter or an accomplice to convicted corporate
criminals to pay the bills, there are many resources
available for finding work in those arenas. There is
no reason or justification for ALE to dilute its services
by trying to be a redundant echo of those resources.

The point and purpose of the ALE-jobs list is to be a
clear resource for finding employment and employees
in arenas relating to some level of Linux, Unix, or
FLOSS administration or development.  If the job
description doesn't include _something_ relating
to those, then it is clearly and simply inappropriate
and needs to be directed elsewhere.  Otherwise we
might as well label it the ALE-craigslist and start
posting service offers from prostitutes and
employment offers from pimps because the list
will have no differentiating or specific purpose
at that point.

peace
aaron