[ale] Elliott Street Pub Iron Pour this Friday 22:00

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 10:16:50 EST 2010

This Friday at 10 pm the Elliott Street Pub (
http://www.elliottstreet.com/ ) is having their monthly Iron Pour.  I
have made and delivered a mould for this event and look forward to
witnessing the spectacular creation of my object.  The pub serves beer
and food, and this should be an entertaining and dramatic event.  Iron
melts at a little less than 3,000 degrees fahrenheit, so expect lots
of light and energy release.

I assume that you will also be able to buy the kits for iron pour
moulds there if you want to create something ( I bought mine on a
Saturday afternoon several weeks ago). The mould kits cost $20 and
consist of a 7"x7"x2" square of "Casting Sand" ( basically a hardened
mixture of sand and clay) with a 5"x5"x3/8" cavity formed in them.
You can take the kit home, carve your design into the cavity, and
bring it back to the Pub in time for the next monthly pour. I suspect
but haven't verified that if you get there early you can simply make
your mould there before the pour as well.

The sand-clay mixture is quite soft but very abrasive -- I'd use a
nail rather than my nice pocket knife to shape it. Remember that it's
a mould, so if you intend to put words or letters on your thing they
will have to be carved in mirror-image to come out correctly.  I found
it helpful to draw what I wanted on a piece of paper and check it in a
mirror before I started carving.

The Elliott Street Pub is located just on the northern edge of
Castleberry Hill, a small arts district a little bit South and West of
Georgia State University in downtown Atlanta.  Address and phone is:

Elliott Street Deli & Pub
51 Elliott Street
Atlanta, GA 30313
(404) 523-2174

The easiest way to get there by bicycle is to get to the intersection
of Centennial Olympic Drive and Marietta Street (the SE corner of
Centennial Olympic Park, across the street from CNN Center). Go South
on Centennial Olympic Drive past the parking lots for the GWCC//CNN
Center across MLK Jr Drive and over the bridge over Mitchell Street to
the first Left ( Chapel St SW).  This street is one-way the wrong way
for cars, but you can walk your bicycle East on the sidewalk for 1
block and then turn left again to be within sight of the Elliott
Street Pub, just north of the fire station.  It's the only business on
the block between Chapel Street and Mitchell Street, so it's easy to
spot.

It's also a fairly short walk from the Garnett Street MARTA station,
although you'll have to find your way over some railroad tracks.
Check Google Maps for details on this.

In a car, you can probably go down 1 more block and take the left at
Nelson Street, then follow its 1-way across Chapel Street to the pub.
There's a small pay parking lot across the street from the Pub, but
you may have to seek parking further off depending on how many people
are actually there.

-- CHS