[ale] collaborative work environment

John jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Nov 9 14:17:59 EST 2010

Alfresco CE (open core) can work for you on the DMS side. It can be used
as a shared drive, WebDAV or through a weenie web xface with full
document versioning checkin/out. For source code version control, you
want either GIT or BZR - a real VCS.

You can easily load both Alfresco and bzr/git onto the same, modest VM.
If you are using a non-secure network (networks are not "insecure"),
then you definitely want a VPN or other protected access method for
Alfresco.

For conversations ... perhaps an internal usenet server?  The old ways
aren't bad.  Or you could place conversations into Alfresco.

Aside: Google-Docs isn't an option for many companies that don't want an
advertising company having access to internal information without a
legal agreement and strict penalties for any failures.