[ale] Two questions

Frederick N. Brier fnbrier at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:24:53 EST 2010

Obviously lawyers come and go within a firm.  I used Morris, Manning, and Martin back in 1998.  I was both creating a company and trademarking its name.  The process required some back and forth correspondence with the USPTO, and at one point the lawyer and his counterpart both left the firm.  No one at the firm would admit my lawyer had left and after almost 6 months and investing several thousand dollars, I almost lost the trademark.  I had to shift to another firm which added an additional $1000-$2000 to the cost.  I had chosen Morris, Manning, and Martin because they had given a presentation at the Unix user's group at Emory and their declared experience with software IP.