[ale] Virtualization question

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Nov 6 18:17:19 EDT 2010

On 11/06/2010 11:01 AM, Joshua Kite wrote:

> The hardware that I have available is a dual xeon hyperthreaded 32 bit
> machine.  And that's the problem.  I would like to run a bare-metal
> hypervisor, but all of the current ones seem to be for 64-bit only.

Hypervisors that do paravirtualization, like Xen, don't require specific
CPU functionality. However, they require modifications to the operating
systems you want to run in them.

Hypervisors that do full virtualization, like KVM, require CPUs that
include the Intel VT-x or AMD-V extensions. However, they don't require
modifying the guest operating system.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts