[ale] Wimped RE: Ubuntu upgrade from -9.04 to -9.10 replaced 'syslog-ng' with'rsyslog'

Mills John M-NPHW64 Jmills at motorola.com
Thu Nov 4 11:11:40 EDT 2010

ALErs -

'aptitude' reported that 'syslog-ng' had been removed but its configuration files were preserved.

I took the coward's way out: when I asked 'aptitude' to remove 'rsyslog' it offered alternatives. Number 3 was to install 'syslog-ng' and I took that route. This put 'rsyslog' into the state of 'removed, preserving configuration files' at least a not-bad outcome.

My test logs immediately came back to life.

Longer term, does this mean 'syslog-ng' is effectively at End-of-Life as far as Linux distros?

Comments welcome.

 - Mills