[ale] ubuntu IMAP does't work, neither does wireless

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Nov 4 05:14:58 EDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 08:55 PM, George Allen wrote:
> Ubuntu has been systematically ticking me off the past year or so. I
> switched to wicd after 10.04 b/c NetworkManager wanted total control
> over everything - and wouldn't gracefully die when I wanted to kill it
> and do stuff like "ip a add..." or "ip r add/del"

well, I did a few weird things also.. I installed trinity KDE 3.5, so
knetworkmanager is.. different, but still there. I turned it off &
installed & ran wicd, still no love, but it MIGHT not be a wicd issue..
not sure yet.

> Plus wicd has a curses client. :) I like curses.
?? wha?? wha curses? I just use the little tray icon thingie..
but I'm used to using ifup/down...

> I still have had issues since 10.10 with my wireless dis-associating
> from my AP every 10 minutes. I haven't decided if this is an issue
> with 10.10, or with the Clear hockey-puck AP I'm running off of... my
> guess is I need to go replace the firmware in /lib/... when I get a
> chance.
>
> Might check the firmware yourself for wireless issues.
this is a VERY old router, and it works from VI$TA & my laptop's XP
side.. not a router problem.

> What I'm more frustrated with over all is the general macishness that
> Ubuntu is turning into - ie mac's have an /etc ... but you really have
> to stay out of it and use the gui. I'm about to either go back to
> debian or maybe even try out fedora or go back to debian. Although
> I've always hated anything not apt/deb.

I just replaced FC13 with U10.10 .. this laptop has probably seen 3-4
versions of ubuntu installed.. when I last tried to install debian on
it, I couldn't get wireless working, but I think that was an
ipw2200-firmware issue..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800