[ale] ubuntu IMAP does't work, neither does wireless

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Wed Nov 3 16:53:29 EDT 2010

well, I installed ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop. When I rebooted I couldn't
get to my windows XP OS, BSOD..
tried the repair CD and it said there was no partitions on the drive.
Ubuntu showed /dev/sda1 as my NTFS partition, 35GB.. weird.. I HAD
created a small 1.5GB FAT partition at the very end of the drive ( don't
remember WHY there was 1.5GB of free space..) so I just deleted that
partition, rebooted, and windows worked again... so now I have sda1-ntfs
, sda3 /, sda5 /home and 1.5GB free space at the end..

now on to ubuntu... wireless doesn't work, couldn't connect to my
router. so I installed wicd. tha always worked before. THis time, nada.
says bad password. boot to XP, connects fine.
I was trying to setup an IMAP account back to my desktop, but it also
times out, no connection, as does ssh. ssh worked in windows, so I'm
thinking iptables maybe? on my debian desktop, kern.log & messages both
show an entry for my laptop where I tried to ssh, something about
Inbound... SRC=my_ip, DST=debian IP.... so I'm not getting it..
--
Paul