[ale] Resizing GPT Partitions Online

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Nov 3 16:39:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 16:18 -0400, Brian Pitts wrote:
> I built this on CentOS 5 and was able to fix the partition table (i.e.
> move the backup GPT to the new end of the disk, recreate the partition
> using the entire space). However, when exiting the program I get a
> message that the kernel is still using the old partition table.
> Running
> partprobe didn't fix this. :-(
>
> I may try this on a Fedora 14 VM to see if it behaves the same way.

I wonder if this means that the kernel treats GPT partitioning different
than MBR partitioning.  I remember that back when I had my 486, I would
have to reboot when I modified the partition table because the kernel
stubbornly refused to refresh its notion of the thing while there were
any filesystems mounted on it, whether they were read-only or not.
Maybe that problem exists in the GPT partition handling code today?

	--- Mike