[ale] AMD ATI Radeon or Nvidia Geforce ? (DDR3 system)

m-aaron-r aaron at pd.org
Mon May 31 00:16:53 EDT 2010

On 2010/05/29, at 23:27 , Brian Pitts wrote:
> On 05/29/2010 04:14 PM, m-aaron-r wrote:
>> PARTS : Memory : DDR2 memory
>> 4GB (2x2GB) PC8500 DDR2 1066 Dual Channel (Check board compatibility)
>> -- (slight upgrade from 667 speed to 1066; mobo supports it so why
>> not?)
>
> If I was buying a new AMD-based computer today, I would get DDR3
> memory
> instead of DDR2. My guess is that in a couple of years if you want to
> add more memory it will be easier to get DDR3.
> --
> All the best,
> Brian Pitts

Looking into DDR3 meant choosing a different system category,
but I'm glad you lead me to do that. Seems I can get a system with
the same basic configuration and costs, plus the added bonus of
the 4GB of RAM being faster (and more future ready) DDR3 1600.
I would also get some other "future ready" pluses like SATA 3
support and USB 3 ports (2ea). Only trade off to keep the cost
similar (while choosing a preferred main board brand) was
accepting the onboard ATI Radeon graphics (which have similar
capabilities and performance specs to the Nvidia add on card
I was looking into).

The last few replies to the thread give me some confidence that
the ATI graphics will work fine;  I can always add a $50 graphics
card if not.

BTW, Am I being out of date with my preference for
(and insistence on) ASUS main boards?

This system weighs in at $754:

  CURRENT CONFIGURATION
	PARTS : CPU : AMD 64 CPU AM3
	AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz (Quad Core) 45nm, AM3 6MB Cache

	PARTS : Cooling Fans : AMD 64 CPU Fans
	Coolermaster Hyper TX3 Vertical, 3 Copper Heat Pipes, Extra Quiet CPU
fan

	PARTS : Motherboards : AMD 64 AM3 Motherboards
	ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO, Onboard Video, HDMI, X-fire, SATA3, USB3.0, iEEE

	PARTS : Memory : DDR3 Dual Channel memory
	4GB (2x2GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

	PARTS : Video & TV Cards : PCI-Express Video cards
	NONE SELECTED

	PARTS : Video & TV Cards : TV Tuner & Capture cards
	NONE SELECTED

	PARTS : Hard Drives
	500.0GB Hitachi 7200RPM SATA2, UDMA 300 8m cache

	PARTS : Cooling Fans : Hard Drive Fans
	NONE SELECTED

	PARTS : Hard Drives
	2nd Hard Drive NONE SELECTED

	PARTS : Cooling Fans : Hard Drive Fans
	2nd Hard drive Fan NONE SELECTED

	PARTS : CD/DVD/R/RW Drives : DVD Recorders
	Lite On 22x DVD Recorder Dual Layer +R/RW -R/RW

	PARTS : Sound Cards
	Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)

	PARTS : Networking : Network Cards
	Ethernet network adapter ( onboard {Gigabit} )

	PARTS : Cases / Power Supplies : Cases
	APEVIA X-Plorer Silver, Side Window, front USB,iEEE,Temp control

	PARTS : Cooling Fans : Case Fans
	NONE SELECTED  (included in case kit)

	PARTS : Cooling Fans : Power Supply
	Antec Basiq 500w Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply w/ 6pin PCI-E

	PARTS : Keyboards
	Logitech Wireless Keyboard & Optical mouse combo black

	PARTS : Mice
	Optical Wheel Mouse, PS/2 Black

	PARTS : Speakers
	NONE SELECTED