[ale] BP knew of problems 11 months before the rig blew

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun May 30 14:08:04 EDT 2010

I'm doing this off the top of my head, so expect errors.

Re: using a nuke. Couple of objections here.

Lets start with the easiest to take care of - BP is a corporation and
doesn't (well isn't supposed to at least) have access to nukes. And
last time I heard, BP is still in charge of the cleanup/stop leaking
operations.

I think, there may well be treaty obligations for the US also, which
I suspect pretty much rule out even a small nuke.

Back in the 60's and early '70's there was a government run program to
harness small nuclear explosions to engineering (civil) problems. I was
a tad bit young then, but if memory serves Project Ploughshare was
pretty much a bust from the get go, and that was all land based work.
Of the publically acknowledged shots, none of them in my memory
produced anything like what the engineers expected, although they did
frequently manage to more millions of tons of material around.  I don't
remember any marine experiments, which would just complicate the
issure.

Finally, I'm not sure that an explosion of any sort would be effective
in the first place. Since the petroleum appears to be under a modest
abount of pressure, and the fluid is fairly viscous also, any explosion
of sufficient power to fracture enough rock is going to suspend that
rock into the upwelling current. Looks to me like a recipe for making a
large hole in the bottom of the ocean from a small hole. (And that
doesn't address the unknown probability of getting enough small stuff
to actually plug the hole from an explosive device. Maybe if you
managed to get the explosives to the bottom of the bore??)

I like things that go "boom" pretty much as well as anyone, but I
honestly don't see explosives working to close off the hole. YMMV of
course.