[ale] AMD ATI Radeon or Nvidia Geforce ? (answer: Nvidia)

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sun May 30 11:35:19 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-05-29 at 13:28 -0400, m-aaron-r wrote:
> Looks like is Nvidia is preferred choice.

NVIDIA requires binary drivers.

If you are using Ubuntu Lucid, or something else as recent, ATI works
most excellently with the free software drivers.  My laptop has an ATI
chipset, and I am no longer running any proprietary drivers in the
stack.

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but I just thought I'd throw my 2¢ in;
NVIDIA _used_ to be the chipset vendor of choice for graphics for me,
but it isn't anymore after all the problems (usually minor, but still)
that I have had, and their non-responsive technical support/bug
reporting email address.  They haven't answered a bug report of mine in
the last three or four years.  They used to all the time.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child