[ale] installing java runtime on 6 bit RHEL

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu May 27 11:41:27 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 07:55 -0400, Geoffrey wrote:
> Trying to get java runtime installed on my 64 bit box.  I've followed
> the instructions at:
>
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000011400.xml#install
>
> In previous installations, I always had to link a .so from the java
> install to my firefox plugins directory.
>
> The instructions above do not make any such reference.  Java is not
> working in my browser, so I know somethings not right.
>
> Any pointers as to how to get this working would be greatly
> appreciated.

Check /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins (or whatever the path is on RHEL systems)
to see if there is a .so there.  Also, if you use Chrome, the path would
be the same; it checks all of Firefox's plugin locations.

I have had limited success with 64-bit Java in the browser (though it
has worked perfectly fine for me outside of the browser with normal Java
applications).  That said, I avoid using the JVM if I can; it's just too
much of a resource hog, even on my relatively decent hardware.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child