[ale] K. Costner to the oil-soaked gulf rescue

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 26 16:53:12 EDT 2010

USGS science crowd has leak rate closer to 50,000 bbl/day. Which is why the
risk was taken on the site. pumping $100M/day on a $1.2B investment is
nearly printing money.

Which is why the sloppy safety engineering is so bad. They have the
resources to put redundant safety systems in place. They could have done
this right. If they had, they would have still been slammed for the loss of
11 crew but they could have garnered kudos for preventing a major
environmental disaster with their science, engineering and management
foresight.

However, BP has surpassed Exxon for public distaste.

I like punative damages of 10x the barrel price per barrel leaked daily
until it's plugged off.

Plus actual damages and jail terms for upper management for gross
negligence. Same goes for rig owner who provided the dead valve and
Haliburton for crappy concrete work.

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 4:15 PM, drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> I believe a "barrel" of oil is 42 gallons. But even at that rate the
> oil leaking out of the well is worth about $13.6 million per DAY --
> assuming the earlier quoted figure of 5,000 barrels a day is still
> accurate.
>
> Sean

> > At $$ (70?) per 55 gallon barrel.. it should be worth gathering from a
> > purely capitalistic standpoint..

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits