[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 25 11:48:50 EDT 2010

The oil on beach or the oil that did get pumped into the tanker ship while
BP was trying to figure out how to salvage the drilling instead of plugging
the leak?

Ultimately, the military gets dibs on domestic oil production. The sludge in
the domestic transportation is almost exclusively imported. The one
exception to this is some of the domestic oil makes into the diesel stream.

And no; the oil itself isn't evil. Messy? hell yeah! An environmental
nightmare? No doubt about it.

The only really good news is the oil that scraped up can actually be
reclaimed for processing. The distillation process will still work with the
seawater emulsified with the goop. It will be a challenge, but I'm sure BP
will find a buyer for it.

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Charles Shapiro
<hooterpincher at gmail.com>wrote:

> Wait, who's actually using all this evil oil??
>
> -- CHS
>

> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com>
> wrote:
> > Jim Kinney wrote:
> >>

> >> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com
> >> <mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>

> >>     On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com
> >>     <mailto:jim.kinney at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>

> >>         ----------------
> >>         Hmm. Engineering idea: if the straw is shredded it becomes
> >>         "pumpable". Then it can be "blown" like insulation to create a
> >>         quick blanket and a really large wet vac can pull up the soggy
> mess.
> >>
> >>     Too bad kudzu can't be used....
> >>

> >> how much crude oil can be stuffed inside an exec before they explode?
> >
> > But then you'd have a bigger problem with all the sh?t that would be
> > spread all over...
> >
> > --
> > Until later, Geoffrey
> >
> > "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> > the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> > the pretense of taking care of them."
> > - Thomas Jefferson

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits