[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Mon May 24 11:46:26 EDT 2010

On 05/24/2010 09:07:57 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 08:58, Tom Freeman
> <tfreeman at intel.digichem.net> wrote:
> > One of the clearest rebuttals to a simple solution that I've seen
> > date for virtually any situation. If we could all get in the habit
> of
> > checking ideas this way, we might be in better shape.
> >
> > OTOH, while I don't think hay is "the solution", I suspect that use
> of
> > hay to chase after the oil has some value, and should see some use.
> > Exactly where is another problem, for another post, and possibly
> > another venue.
>
> Perhaps I didn't catch it, what were the costs/efforts associated
> with
> harvesting/storing/shipping/distributing the hay?  Hay seems
> wonderful
> if it get's there on it's own. ;-)

Well, that and what do you do with it after it is "full" of oil. And
salt water. Collect and burn? Collect and bury? Extract oil and burn
hay? I doubt that the hay would be reusable at that point. And
admittedly, those type issues were not addressed either by myself or
the post I responded to. Quite roughly speaking, however, use of hay
will result in 2 lbs of material to work with for every lbs of oil
slick retrieved. Plus that material will not be especially easy to work
with, since it will neither pump nor be an easily filterable solid.
Again, not explicitely noted.

Of course, these analyses ignore the effects of diverting a percent or
three of the nation's hay supply to oil chasing, and the logistics of
getting that much hay transported in the first place.

What I was trying to do with my original post was to complement Quentin
for actually running down some of the facts and running some estimated
numbers to get at crude ballpark figures, as opposed to the usuall
debate tactics of simply snearing at the idea.

Ok. My bad for not expanding and expounding with greater clarity, for
which I appologise. I should know better. Plus, I should do a better
job of looking up and checking more of my data (sorry but I'm not going
to today, I've got some oil based product (gasoline) to combust in
cleaning up a back yard).

I will stand by the statement that the use of hay probably has a place
in the overall effort regarding the oil spill but is _not_ truely a
cure regardless of how popular the idea is.