[ale] OT - Have you seen this almost trivial solution to the oil mess?

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 11:42:41 EDT 2010

I haven't watched the video, but I suspect that what they are referring to
as hay (basically dried bermuda, fescue or some such grass or dried alfalfa
for a higher protein feed) was actually wheat straw (or should have been).
Wheat straw is hollow like a drinking straw, which would nearly double, or
at least greatly increase the surface area (I'm not a mathlete, so I'll
leave the calculations for those who are) for the oil to bind to. It is also
useless for animal fodder, but popular for landscaping (think hydro seeding
or more commonly dry seeding) for moisture retention and erosion prevention
while newly sown grass is being established. If I'm correct, the animals and
their owners wouldn't suffer so much as the developers and landscapers, but
those businesses are rather slow [HUGE understatement] these days.
GC

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Preston Boyington <preston.lists at gmail.com