[ale] OT:Hardware but it is running Linux

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Mon May 24 09:42:14 EDT 2010

Ok, I've had this USB wireless trackball by Logitech connected through
as PS/2 adapter for quite some time, since my then Logitech keyboard was
PS/2. Recently the keyboard died so I bought a new Logitech keyboard not
realizing that it was a USB type of keyboard. I decided to hook the
trackball up as USB also. The keyboard is fine, although at first was
intermittent until I enabled in the BIOS for USB keyboards/mouse, which
I had forgotten to do. The trackball however at first boot will not be
there and I'll get an error something about unable to open USB port 2
for whatever reason. If I unplug the transceiver and plug it back in all
will be fine except I'll get a warning after logging in that the battery
is low and needs to be replaced even though it's a brand new fresh
battery. The trackball works fine after that, but of course it'll get
erratic when I really do need to replace the battery. Am i missing
something on the Linux side for the wireless trackball? Maybe I need to
replace it with a wired one?

TIA
Scott C.