[ale] 64bit thunderbird 3.0.4

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon May 17 12:14:30 EDT 2010

Actually RHEL is a little different.  Although the "base" package
remains the same throughout the life of major releases (RHEL5) what
RedHat does is backport bug and security fixes into that "base" so the
version you see on RHEL has a RHEL version suffix appended to the "base"
version number.

This causes Security auditors to gag - they can't seem to understand
that BIND 9.3.4-5.12.11 isn't actually the same thing as unpatched
9.3.4.

The downside isn't in bugs and security but rather in new features.
BIND 9.7 is much more mature than 9.3.4 so when RHEL gets long in the
tooth as RHEL5 is now one starts chomping at the bit to move on.   The
good news is RHEL6 is out in beta.

Of course there isn't anything in stopping a user from compiling and
running base 9.7 themselves even on RHEL5.