[ale] worker issue

m-aaron-r aaron at pd.org
Tue May 11 17:35:31 EDT 2010

On 2010/05/11, at 04:15 , Drew Brown wrote:
> What I'm getting . . .
>
> Selecting the file and then using another button that does
> "vim {F} &" "in terminal and wait for key" works.
>
> Double clicking a file
> "kate {F} &" works correctly
>
> Double clicking a file
> "vim {F}" will open the file in vim BUT locks up the worker
>
> Double clicking a file
> "vim {F} &" causes the vim to come up and disappear
>
> The latter is the way I'd like to do it. I'd like to double click
> .php files and have them open in vim and not lock up worker.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Drew

I got this to work on my system (after installing VIM}
by configuring the double click action for .php file types
as  "vim {F}", just as you note trying above,
...BUT...
I also selected  "run in terminal" (as opposed to "run normal"),
and checked the "Run in Background" option box so that worker
starts the VIM process in a separate shell.

Not sure why the "&" would work with Kate, except that
VIM runs as a terminal program and Kate works from a
KDE GUI environment.

Hope that solves it for you.  I'm running Worker 2.17.3
on Mint  8 (ubuntu 9.10 based).

HTH!
peace
aaron