[ale] Very Weird! keys become 'hot' in tightvnc under Ubuntu-10.04

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Sun May 9 19:02:58 EDT 2010

Paul - thanks for the note.

I couldn't try those switches because I don't get them.

My viewer does not present any menu with CTRL and ALT options, so I
couldn't try them. Some letters passed through, others were trapped and
(presumably) converted. I did try substuting <ALT-s> for 's', etc, without
seeing better behavior.

I tried using 'window maker' as my VNC manager and it has no issues. It
looks as though the Gnome desktop (when served out) is the problem: nice,
but I can live without it.

  - Mills

On Sat, 8 May 2010, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Sat May 8 2010, John Mills wrote:
>> I started using an xterm console in the VNC window and - lo and behold -
>> each time I typed an 's' in that console the window dropped down a menu to
>> logout, suspend, stop, restart, etc. BIG problem.

> I guess the question is, what was it going to shut down, the server, or the
> viewer box? whichever box that is, is the issue, correct? if it is viewer,
> see below:

> and someone else gave you a menu to check:
>> In the VNC viewer menu, make sure "Ctrl Down", "Alt Down", etc
>> are not checked. These are in the main window-frame menu (top
>> left corner) in vncviewer, at least on Windows.

> did that do it??

Sorry, no such menu and no joy.