[ale] OT: phone tethering is awesome!

scbrown3 at gmail.com scbrown3 at gmail.com
Fri May 7 10:16:54 EDT 2010

Just realized that my reply only went to Michael, did I mention how much I
hate the default Android email client? I'm looking for a better one...

On May 6, 2010 10:51pm, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> That's surprising to me. My connection is good and the bandwidth is good,
> but the latency stinks on cell phones. It takes about 1/5 to 2/5 of a
> second for >ping on average, compared to 9ms on my cable connection, to
> ping Google as an example.

That got me curious, so I did some tests with me and the wife's 2 droids. I
used the speedtest.net, fcc test, 3gtest, and httping apps and got varying
results.

Fcc test going to broadband.gov gave the best results from 150ms to 250ms

Speedtest.net 300ms

3gtest 300ms

Httping going to google.com and yahoo.com 1500 to 3000ms, which is... odd

Dl and ul speeds were usually around .5Mbps and .25Mbps. I ran some tests
multiple times sometimes even simultaniously on both droids and would get
inconsistent results. I prob prefer the speedtest.net app to any of the
others above. What do you guys get?
-Steve Brown