[ale] Ethernet info/question

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Thu May 6 19:21:00 EDT 2010

You've discovered the purpose of the spanning tree protocol.[1]  Any
modern managed switch should support this with no problem, and it is not
vendor-specific if implemented properly.  There are some VLAN-related
extensions to STP that make the situation a little cloudy in some cases,
and this can lead to problems.  For example, (to my understanding) it's
possible to connect 2 switches with access-mode ports on separate VLANs
that are then leading to a loop.

Knowing more about your situation would help to give any input on what
might have been occurring.  Generally speaking, network loops or other
MAJOR networking issues will bring a host/interface/network down
entirely rather than just causing mild intermittent problems.

--David

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanning_tree_protocol

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE