[ale] new MFP Printer needed

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Mon May 3 19:19:44 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 12:31:49PM -0400, Byron Jeff wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 12:04:01PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> > Our fax machine has died and we need to replace it.  To that end, I
> > personally would like to replace it with a MFP that is a laser printer.
> > Anybody got a good lead on a Linux compatible MFP that works as a
> > fax/scanner/printer with networking built in?  I am looking at the sub
> > $500 market (for home/home office light use).
> >
> > Researching this is an exercise in noise filtering.
>
> Well I just bought an HP J4680 inkjet wireless all-in-one (AIO) yesterday.
> My Kubuntu 9.10 installation with HPLIP found the printer on the network,
> printed in color and scanned. The installation routine complained about the
> Fax PPD being missing. I presume that if I load that PPD the AIO will be
> able to fax from the computer too.
>
> HP has laser AIO offerings, though I'm not sure if there's a color laser in
> that ballpark.
>
> HPLIP isn't a perfect solution. But at least HP is actively trying to
> support their products on Linux.

I could not find the followup that indicated that faxing did not actually
work. I haven't been back home, but I did some research and this thread
indicates that it is possible to get faxing going with the HPs using HPLIP:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1305135&page=3

The thread show a few options for getting it going. The simplest seems to
be just to install the hplip-cups package.

I'll test it out. Getting faxing going is definitely on my list of things
to do.

BAJ