[ale] new MFP Printer needed

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Mon May 3 14:42:26 EDT 2010

On 5/3/2010 10:31 AM, Byron Jeff wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 12:04:01PM -0400, Damon L. Chesser wrote:
>> Our fax machine has died and we need to replace it.  To that end, I
>> personally would like to replace it with a MFP that is a laser printer.
>> Anybody got a good lead on a Linux compatible MFP that works as a
>> fax/scanner/printer with networking built in?  I am looking at the sub
>> $500 market (for home/home office light use).
>>
>> Researching this is an exercise in noise filtering.
>
> Well I just bought an HP J4680 inkjet wireless all-in-one (AIO) yesterday.
> My Kubuntu 9.10 installation with HPLIP found the printer on the network,
> printed in color and scanned.

I also am happy with my HP J4650 (same printer without the wireless,
I think).  I've only had it for like two months though, so I may be
head for the old familiar "inkjet FAIL" experience.  We'll see.
Anyway, Ubuntu likes this printer for printing and scanning.
I have no land-line so have not tested fax.

I really wanted a laser MFP, but the price differential is just too
much for me.  The HP was under $100 IIRC, whereas the most economical
color laser MFP was in the $400 range I think.  I probably print
under 200 pages/year, so there was no way to justify the expense of
a laser.

-- JK

--
Forget Jesus: stars died so that you could be here today.
  - physicist Lawrence Krauss