[ale] Samba shared printer mystery

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:41:09 EDT 2010

Isn't there a "RAW" print driver for samba printers that will simple use the
data "as is" from the windows client and simply block-send teh data to the
printer? The Linux system can't print to the printer at all, but the windows
systems think it's a windows printer with no problem.

not sure. haven't tinkered samba in a long time....

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 1:35 PM, PairOfTwins <PairOfTwins at mindspring.com>wrote:

> All:
>
> I've set up samba on a recent Ubuntu/Mint system to share the HP DeskJet
> F4180, which works fine from the desktop with any of 3 printer drivers.
>
> However, printing a web page to this shared printer from WinXP prints
> only PART of the content.  First try with f4100 driver it printed color,
> with no black at all.  Switching to another similar driver or f4200
> driver produced the same result.  Printing a check, all that prints is
> the signature (an image), with all the text missing.
>
> Looking at the access log, I see dozens of messages ending with
> "successful - ok", and the error log only shows some "authorization"
> problems, which I think were caused by replacing the driver as the
> user.  My last driver change was done using "sudo" and no message
> appeared, but the printing was just as bad.  Was unable to find a place
> to change the error level in /etc/cups.
>
> WinXP is using the official HP driver, and printing via USB cable works
> just fine.  The cups driver is hplip 2.8.7 and foomatic.  OpenPrinting
> says this printer "works mostly" and uses "Lightweight Imaging Device
> Interface Language" - LIDIL.
>
> Any suggestion is welcomed.
>
> Tom

James P. Kinney III