[ale] Forcing RW on boot

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Tue Mar 30 14:52:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 12:47 -0500, Dustin Puryear wrote:
> Is it okay if you just remount as rw?
>
> something-wrong-with-boot [enter root password]
> password:
> # mount -o remount,rw /

I would if I could

Some utilities have been replaced by hacked versions but this server is
Fedora Core 2 and running mount gets me SIGSEGV!  Meaning I can't
execute that command.  My idea was this

1.  Boot as rw
2.  Assign IP
3.  SCP initrd.img and kernel from CentOS boot CD
4.  Modify GRUB
5.  Reboot
6.  Reload

I've done that many times.

Since I could not mount rw I could not do 2-6.

Instead I had the customer burn a small image to CD and we've booted the
server.  I'm using a serial device remotely and am now doing the reload.
This time I'm loading CentOS 5.X

The CD step is so simple but you would be amazed how hard it is to get
some people to understand "burn this image to CD".  That took me about
45 minutes.  We had to first locate blank CDs then I had to walk them
through using Nero.