[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards revisited

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 24 10:50:58 EDT 2010

It seems to me that linguists are moving away from the idea that some words
are right and others wrong. The oldays when Sister Madalyn wrapped your
knuckles for using 'bring' when you should have used 'take' are gone,
replaced by a judgment  based on the words effect. Ie. You shouldn't use
niggardly  because it gives offense and your meaning will be lost.

So the real question would be whether the use of the word "racist"
effectively transmitted the intended  meaning. I would say it did and
therefore it was correct.