[ale] OT: Security code on Credit/Debit cards revisited

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Mar 23 23:15:14 EDT 2010

On 03/23/2010 10:56 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
>> While I would appreciate the restaurant name so I may also avoid them,
>> >  at this point that may be a poor association to make given the tenor of
>> >  this discussion.
> Los Acros in Lawrenceville. There were several other customers "hit"
> with in a 2 week period. No further known activity since. I was there in
> the middle of May last year.

A single (or specific) restaurants is one thing---despite any
commonalities in them.  The only problem that I had was the sweeping
generalization---which, regardless of what hairs people want to split,
is simple racism.  With the additional information here and in elsewhere
in the thread, there could have easily been a much better, more
accurate, and non-racist method of making the statement.  The difference
between a racist statement and not can be as simple as a rearranging of
words---putting just a touch more thought into what is really intended
to be said.

It doesn't help that generalization is something that we often tend to
do, nor that generalization tends to lead to making (even sometimes
inadvertently) racist (or sexist) statements.

It sounds to me like the original statement is, as it was written, was
both overgeneralized and likely unintentionally racist.  The appropriate
thing to do would be a simple apology.  It's only 10 bytes to do.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475