[ale] DVD ripping tools & distro of choice?

Preston Boyington preston.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 09:20:03 EDT 2010

adam wrote:
> Scott Castaline wrote:
>> Would that let me break apart segments of the DVD. What I'm trying to do
>> is I have the original DVD release of StarTrek The Original Series where
>> they put 2 episodes on one DVD. They are I believe paired up by the
>> original film order and not the order they aired on TV. I would like to
>> separate the episodes, so I can play them in any order that I feel like.
>
> Handbrake allows you to select certain titles/chapters to dip, so
> separating the DVD into individual episodes is simple and easy.
>
> Adam

I use Smplayer to navigate the tracks to see which ones I want.  I am
ripping a TV series that has 4 episodes per disc with no issues.  Like
others, I usually let it rip while I sleep or am at work.

When ripping my Thin Man movies(1930's B&W) I had to adjust some
settings since smoke/fog takes some extra time to avoid blocking.  I got
some very nice results with just a bit more time.

Patience is definitely rewarded when doing a quality encode.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman's perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/