[ale] Sending from my spiffy old laptop at the library

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 13:16:49 EDT 2010

Whee!  IBM 600x w/ 370 mb of RAM, a 20-gb hard drive, and a 500-mhz P3
processor.  The sticker inside indicates it was built in 2000.  I had
to make and install a new CMOS battery ( a CR2032 with a special
socket soldered on to it with tabs), and of course the main battery is
shot so the machine won't even boot without a power cord.

But it's running xubuntu 9.10, finally properly tricked out with the
docking bar on the right side and xubuntu-restricted-extras installed.
 It's not snappy, but it is definitely useable.  Plus, the Dekalb
Covington library free wifi is pretty ok awesome.

-- CHS