[ale] Do people still roll their own Linux desktops?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Thu Mar 18 13:39:06 EDT 2010

On 3/18/2010 11:03 AM, Pat Regan wrote:

> My problem has always been that I rarely get to reuse all that many
> components when I upgrade.  All the major components tend to need
> replacing at the same time.  The shiny new CPU almost always has a new
> socket and the new motherboard with that socket rarely supports the old
> memory...

I was very pleased by NOT having to deal with that when upgrading my
Phenom 9500 CPU (with the infamous TLB errata) to a PhenomII -- AMD
arranged for AM2+ CPUs to work in AM2 sockets :-)

With this particular box I got something approximating the best of
both worlds (prefab vs DIY) -- NewEgg offered all the pieces
(CPU, mobo, case, 8GB RAM, 500GB HD, 750W PS) in a package deal
for $399. I think really they were trying to foist the Phenom 9500
chips off onto unsuspecting consumers, but even before the
CPU upgrade it was a really nice box.

-- JK

--
Forget Jesus: stars died so that you could be here today.
  - physicist Lawrence Krauss