[ale] Do people still roll their own Linux desktops?

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 18 11:40:26 EDT 2010

I've been over and over this with various people for years and I always end
up building my own system. Every time I come across one of those low-cost
machines there is something wrong with it. I don't mean that its broken
down. I mean one component or another is sub-standard in some way. There
always is something about it that is no good and ends up being a pain in the
butt for as long as you own the machine.

I'm blind and even so, I still build my own machines. In a way, I feel like
I'm indulging myself at a significant cost. I know I really should be buying
hamburger but I like steak so much more.  I tell my wife I need to spend
$600 instead of $400 because its "research" for my job. But I just feel that
if I buy one of those inexpensive machines, there will be something about it
I don't like. This has been my experience and that of my friends who have
put linux on their PCs. Some driver is impossible to find, or the case is
impossible to open, or the disk failes, or something.

I don't intend this as advice. If you're asking if people still build their
own machines, my answer is yes.