[ale] IPv6 vs IPv4 (was: uptime)

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Mar 17 23:21:00 EDT 2010

On 03/17/2010 10:59 PM, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> What does a greybeard need to do today if they'd like to start putting
> IPv4 behind them?

Start using IPv6 with regularity.  Start making public services that you
manage available on the IPv6 Internet.  Public IPv6 addresses for your
hosts.  When working on new projects, or even doing significant updates
on old projects, begin to add IPv6 to networks (and of course, put in a
proper firewall to keep things nice and secure).

Given that all current versions of all operating systems that I am aware
of support IPv6, this means that over time, people will transparently
start using IPv6.  One could also show that it is working by proxying
DNS and changing the names google.com and www.google.com to be CNAMEs
for ipv6.google.com.  :-)  People will wonder why there are hopping o's
on their screen!

Seriously, though:  Make everything you work on over time be truly ready
for IPv6.  If you try to setup IPv6 on a network and you find that there
is network equipment that won't carry protocol 41, for example, find out
why and make the necessary changes for it to work so that they can get
tunneled address space in the short term.  In the mid-term, we will all
have IPv6 address space anyway.  The ISPs in the United States are
starting to realize that it is pretty important that they start offering
IPv6 service.  Nobody wants to be the first one to do it, I think,
because they're afraid that they will be blamed for transitory problems,
but everyone knows that it needs to be done.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                                    ☎ (404) 492-6475