[ale] uptime

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:29:38 EDT 2010

Dang! Totally forgot to mention the server I helped a friend move hot and
live to keep his 1000+ day uptime. We opened the box, split open the power
supply, hot spliced the output from a DC/AC power inverter and 2 fully
charged car batteries into the AC feed lines, parked the hard drive heads,
pulled the wall plug and secured the now very dangerous ends, put the server
on the hand truck with the batteries and inverter and walked the entire pile
2 blocks through downtown Atlanta to the new building and set it all back up
in it's new home.

Of course the building power failed about a month later and it was all just
exercise in dangerous geekdom as the generators failed to kick in for an
hour!

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> 14:22:00 up 94 days, 18:53,  2 users,  load average: 3.03, 3.21, 2.95
>
> system was powered down for a new power conditioner change out 94 days ago.
> Database runs load between 1 and 7 typically. Fiber line between head and
> storage damn near glows through the casing...
>
> need infiniband connection instead of fiberchannel.
>

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com>wrote:
>
>>  14:11:41 up 1246 days, 22:55,  2 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.37, 0.25
>>
>> On 03/17/2010 02:08 PM, Geoffrey wrote:
>> > 2:11pm  up 850 days 16:32,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

James P. Kinney III