[ale] Do people still roll their own Linux desktops?

Björn Gustafsson bg-ale at bjorng.net
Tue Mar 16 19:48:20 EDT 2010

I'm in the market for a new desktop Linux system, and I've never
bought a consumer unit before.  This time though I'm sorely tempted by
deals I see in the $350-$450 range on discount desktops, which are
sometimes even quad-core systems.
http://www.buy.com/prod/hp-pavilion-p6203w-desktop-athlonll-x2-r-215-2-7-ghz-4gb-500gb/q/loc/101/213720391.html
for example is $370 for an older model dual-core desktop.

My 5+ year old case is feeling creaky, and I'm probably due for a new
power supply, so I don't think I can build a comparable system myself
for under $450, and I worry about durability with such cheap parts.
My main requirements are a dual or quad-core processor and at least 4
GB of RAM, with a decent video card.  If I look at pricewatch.com and
similar sites the components add up to $500 or more. (Not including a
monitor, which I don't need.)

Does anyone have suggestions on a low-budget alternative to pre-built
systems, or am I wasting time even thinking about that?  For example,
are the "no OS systems" that Ascendtech sells any good?
http://www.ascendtech.us/customkititems.asp?kc=DTPCC2DE8400912

--
Björn Gustafsson