[ale] Noob

tom tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Mar 14 10:23:17 EDT 2010

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Randy Pettyjohn wrote:

> Hey all, I am just giving a hello to all those on this list. I am new to
> linux so am trying to just pick up on whatever I can learn from you guys.  I
> would consider myself pretty advanced windows/pc user but am having a tough
> time catching onto Linux.  I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions about how
> to get this Ubuntu thing working.  In the meantime, hey howdie and all that.

Yo! Howdy yourself! Good group here with __lots__ of varied experience.
Ask away.

And to encourage the asking - I'll ask the semiobvious: What part(s) of
the early Linux experience are tripping you up? Related to that - where is
it you currently think you want to go with it? (I'll assume that goals are
subject to change without warning.) Is your current goal to just get
comfortable with an enduser desktop experience - web surfing, emailing,
and office applications with just enough system administration to keep the
doors open? Or something different?

For me, I'm using Linux (Fedora and Ubuntu) to support a teaching gig,
storing pictures online for myself, general entertainment via the web, and
the entertainment (and educational) value (mental exercise for a very
lazy soul) of keeping a network put together. I'd hope that your milage
will vary 8-).

Welcome to the group, and speak up. There is good support here, friendly
people, and durn near anything else you might need.