[ale] lost a cpu core

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Mar 10 14:27:18 EST 2010

Could be - We use RHEL 5 extensively here (up through 5.4 so far) and
haven't seen any issue with seeing multi-core CPUs.

Some systems do have settings related to hyperthreading and what not in
the BIOS.  You might want to check those out as I recall back on RHEL 3
I had to change a setting on a box related to that before doing the
install.

Funny - One of the machines I inherited here was running FreeBSD 4.8.x
and it was dog slow.  On doing a checkout one day I found that it had
two CPUs but top and other tools had always reported one.  Turned out
that in FreeBSD you had to actually tell it to use the 2nd CPU - it
didn't do it by default.  :-)