[ale] Wall wort for IBM 600x?

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 12:28:30 EST 2010

Hah! Boots and Runs fine, memtestx86 reports clean. Boots Lose 2000 to
a passwordless admin user. The CMOS battery appears either shot or not
charged though, since I have to set the clock before it'll start.

I found an update for the BIOS but alas the updater seems to require a
functional main battery. acpi reports that the battery is not charging
at all. A new one is, like, $35 on ebay. Looks like this machine'll
run xubuntu just fine though -- minimum requirements are 192 mb and 2
gb of disk space, this thing has 300+ mb of memory and a 20g hard
drive installed.

It seems to have a pcmcia slot, but the linux rescue CD isn't finding
drivers for my Lenovo cardbus 11a/b/g adapter.  It's got a built-in
modem but that appears to be about it.  Onboard sound seems to work
ok.  It's even got a functional USB port or two.

Another fun toy. Wonder what I can do with it.  Maybe it's the world's
biggest, ugliest mp3 player.

-- CHS