[ale] Linux-HA to convert a slave to a master

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 23:10:19 EST 2010

Yep. Ping is not a reliable test. Better to actually use the slave to probe
the master for the same functionality the master is supposed to be serving.
Likewise setup a watchdog process on the master to look at the slave for a
confirmation file. If it's present, all is ok. If it's missing, restart the
process and flag a counter. Wait an appropriate restart time and retest the
slave for confirmation. If it still missing, signal the slave for imminent
shutdown and call a halt.

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> I've loaded Heartbeat from the Linux-HA project and I'm starting to
> think it is overkill for what I'm trying to do.
>
> I have a 2 server configuration running in our data center.   One is a
> master and one a slave.  I want to have a heartbeat between them using a
> x-over ethernet cable on eth1 and if the master  is no longer responsive
> I want the heartbeat program to execute a perl script that I write.  I
> started compiling Heartbeat and Glue from the Linux-HA project and I
> believe it is a bit much for what I want.
>
> Any suggestions?   I can easily write a perl ping daemon but I've ran
> into situations where the Linux kernel would respond to ping but be
> blocking in disk IO due to a failed drive.
>
> Chris

James P. Kinney III