[ale] Server Record Keeping

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Thu Mar 4 10:45:29 EST 2010

Spacewalk is a nice thought, but (last I looked) only works for
CentOS/RHEL.  And I'm not sure if we could have our systems registered with
both RHN and a Spacewalk instance.  We also have some Ubuntu Server systems,
and Mac OS X Server as well, so we ideally need something
platform-independent.

I'm going to take a look at OCS Inventory... might just be what we need.

David

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> Spacewalk is the community version of RHEL's tool "satellite server". It
> does what you want. Tracks systems, hardware and software, versionning,
> deployment, updates, reporting, etc. Current downside is it requires Oracle
> but Postgresql is in the works. It may be ready (with Pg) as I haven't
> looked at it in a while.
>

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Dylan Northrup <docx at io.com> wrote:
>
>> A long time ago, (04.03.10), in a galaxy far, far away, David Tomaschik
>> wrote:
>>
>> :=TBH, I'm not even sure what to call this one.  I'm looking for a
>> web-based
>> :=app that will let my department keep better track of our servers.  Right
>> :=now, our documentation on updates, installed versions, configuration,
>> :=hardware specs, etc. is pretty spotty.  I'm looking for something that
>> will
>> :=let us keep that in one place and pull reports based on almost any
>> criteria
>> :=(Memory in system, kernel version, IP address, mac address, etc. all
>> come to
>> :=mind.)  We need a way to document when updates are performed, when
>> :=configuration is changed, etc.  Does anyone know of a tool to help us
>> keep
>> :=such documentation?  For those of you who admin multiple servers, what
>> is
>> :=your practice?
>>
>> A commercial product for doing what you want to do is Opsware.  I'm sure
>> you
>> could add some hooks into cfengine, puppet, et. al to do updates to a
>> central DB when they do their machine probes.  I haven't gone through the
>> exercise, but it should be mostly straightforward (based on my experience
>> with the products).
>>
>> --
>> Dylan Northrup - docx at io.com - http://www.io.com/~docx/<http://www.io.com/%7Edocx/>
>> "Adversity is just change that we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
>>    - Aimee Mullins

> James P. Kinney III
> Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness

David Tomaschik, RHCE
System Administrator/Developer
http://tuxteam.com
GPG: 0x6D428695