[ale] How to debug a program that just goes away

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 14:32:22 EST 2010

What a coincidence! I was poking around in my old desk and found some of the
original slackware floppies I did my first _ever_install with (painstakingly
downloaded over a 14400 baud modem connection). Then I realized don't have a
floppy drive anymore that works in any device I have. The last floppy I got
was an external USB version and it failed about a year ago.

So I tossed the old floppies out. Along with a bazillion year old version of
M$ Office on floppies from around Windows 3.11 days.

I vaguely recall saving my cash for CD drive shortly after the slackware
install so I could buy the walnut creek multi-CD compilations of everything
Linux on the web at the time.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>wrote:

> Jim Lynch wrote:
> >
> > I sometimes really hate computers.  ;)
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim.
> >
> My bad.  I just realized that the program was not hung.  I was tailing
> the log file but the log had rotated.  Since I was not seeing any
> activity, I assumed... well you know the rest of the story.
>
> I have no idea what made it work (I'll just say worked longer for now)
> but it is behaving somewhat better than before.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions.
>
> OT I was sorting through my old floppies over the weekend, and came
> across a pair of root/boot disks for kernel version 1.2.13-6, Debian
> 0.93R6 dated 5 Nov 1995.  Wonder if they'll boot on anything?
>

> Jim.

James P. Kinney III